Wednesday, January 13, 2010

7 Pounds

Every New Years like most American, I come up with a New Year's Resolution that should help enhance my life and make me a better person. Last Year my resolution was to workout at least 3 days a week. Even though I had a few minor setbacks I stuck to my goal, through out the year. This year I wanted to change the way I looked at food, eat healthier and lose weight. I know that this is probably the goal for 90 percent of all Americans, but I am determined to change my life. So I must find a plan that will help me achieve my goals of major weight loss.

I have many books on weigh loss and exercise. So rather than go out and buy yet another book that claims to magically melt away the pounds I decided I need to look on my shelves and find a solution to my problem. So the first book I ran across was the Fat Smash Diet by Dr.Ian Smith from that TV show Celebrity Fit Club and the Fifty Million Pound Challenge. I have had this book for a while so I decided to give it a try. One of the main reasons was it was short, easy to read and it seemed easy to do. I found that a lot of weight loss books talk to much about the science of being overweight. Then when you get to the HOW of losing weight the book leaves you hanging.

In the Fat Smash diet you start out with Phase I, a 9-day detox of your body, eating only vegetables, limiting your sugar and salt intakes. I didn't try this years ago because I didn't think I could mentally go one day without eating meat more less 9 days. I am here to say I can and I did. The amazing thing was I didn't really miss meat that much, however, I would not make a lifestyle out of being a vegetarian. If I must say it simply I like meat. I filled my fridge with healthy veggies, the book gave you several recipes that you could use. however, I found that I had to prepare my veggies the way I liked rather than using those recipes in the book. I like my food with a little ethnic flair. The book also stated you should eat 4-5 small meals through out the day. So I broke my meals down and I also incorporated a fruit or a yogurt as a snack. I tried to listen to body about hunger and ate when I felt hungry. I tried to eliminate the boredom snacking. I never felt like I was starving. It was great! One of my major problems is portion control and eating too fast. That is still a work in progress. I will work it out in time.

You are also suppose to workout at least 30 minutes 5 days a week. That didn't happen. Something happened that I didn't quite expect. I'm just going to say it, it was "Gas Pain." Who knew that eating veggies could cause that much gas and that much pain. No wonder the Farm animals with their Greenhouse gases are hurting the ozone. If cows are releasing that kind of gas on a daily, weekly or yearly basis no wonder the Polar Icecaps are melting. I finally had to get some Beano and some GasX to help. It has helped a lot. Now I can get my workout on, again. I guess the old saying is true "No Pain, No Gain."

I am proud to announce I am 7 pounds lighter. I also lost a inch and half around my waist. I did it with little effort; I changed the way I ate and the way looked at food. It just took a few simple changes.

Now its time to start Phase II incorporating some of the things I eliminated from my diet in Phase I, like meat. Now is the time to step up my game. I will let you know how that turns out for me.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Pam! Keep it up. Btw, veggies kill the intestinal tract!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WONDERFUL TO READ PAM...VERY ENCOURAGING BECAUSE I FEEL THE SAME WAY ABOUT MEAT...I LIKE MEATS...I JUST PREPARE THEM DIFFERENTLY AND DONT FRY ANYTHING BUT FISH. WE HAVE A HISTORY OF BLOOD PRESSURE IN OUR FAMILY & I REFUSE TO LET THE DEVIL TAKE OVER MY BODY! I appreciate you sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete